Match Reports‎ > ‎

County IHC 3rd Round 2013

posted 24 Jun 2013, 12:47 by Unknown user   [ updated 24 Jun 2013, 12:49 ]
Ballianhinch 2-15
Cahir 1-05

in Sean Treacy Park, Tipperary Town.
Report from Nenagh Guardian.

Cahir got off to a flying start against Ballinahinch, going ahead by four points within minutes of the throw-in, a free from Derek Davis starrted the scoring with a point. This was followed by a goal after regaining possession form the puckout, Cahir's Ger Halley sent in a high ball that was stopped by Ballinahinch gola keeper Cormac McGrath only to see the rebound struck to the net by Ryan Murphy. Ballinahinch were not stunned by this and had matters level after ten minutes whin Paddy Kelly goaled after an initial Ger Griffin shot was saved and Kevin Mulcahy pointed a 65' to level matters.

For the next few minutes both sides traded wides but Ballinahinch broke the Cahir defence again when Mark Kelly set up Ger Griffin for a goal. Cahir's only other score of the half came after 18minutes with Derek Davis pointing another free. Ballinahinch closed out the half with further points from Mark Kelly, Kevin Mulcahy and Ger Griffin.

The second half continued as the first had finished with Ballinahinch pointing three-in-a-row with no response from Cahir. Midway through the half Cahir rwegistered a pointed free from Johnny McMahon.

Ballinahinch had total control of the game at this stage and continued to tag on points through the final quarter, leaving Cahir with no chance of a comeback. Cahir could only keep in touch via frees and a fine effort from Dean Lonergan who soloed through the middle to score from play after 56minutes.

At the final whistlethe gap was ten-poins in favour of the men from the North. Despite the bright start from Cahir, Ballinahinch did not let this shake them and continued to work to regain possession and get good scores, once they had levelled they never looked back and continued to tot up the scores earning them their third win of the Championship.

Ballinahinch: Cormac McGrath; Ger Grace, Thomas Grace, Michael Fitzgerald; John Ryan, Shane McGrath (0-1), John Foley; Kevin Mulcahy (0-3, 2f, 1 65'), Adrian Kelly (0-1); Shane Healy (0-1), Donnacha McGrath, Kevin Fitzpatrick; Mark Kelly (0-4), Paddy Kelly 1-1), Ger Griffin (1-3, 2f). Subs: Daragh McGrath for K. Fitzpatrick (47), K. Fitzpatrick for Foley (56).

Ref: PJ Nolan (Killea)