Match Reports‎ > ‎

North title for Ballinahinch Gaels

posted 8 Apr 2013, 12:29 by Unknown user   [ updated 8 Apr 2013, 12:29 ]
Ballinahinch Gaels 1-08
Moneygall/Clonakenny 1-03
in Templederry.
Report from Nenagh Guardian.
Ballinahinch Gaels held out to claim a deserved first North Tipperary U21 'B' title success when they d e f e a t e d Moneygall/Clonakenny side on Sunday afternoon. A Pa Floyd goal twelve minutes from time gave the Ballinahinch/Newport combination the breathing space but a stubborn Moneygall/Clonakenny side pressed hard in a bid to claw back the lead and a late consolation penalty by John Joe Ryan put a better perspective on the scoreline.

No doubt, Ballinahinch Gaels were deserving winners; a better balanced side possessed with key men in key positions. Joe Connelly was a tower of strength at full back. John Ryan was best at centre back as Kevin Mulcahy and Martin Carey on top at midfield battle. Pa Floyd led the attack at centre forward and finished with a 1-3 from play while Aidan Moloney proved to be a tricky operator at right corner forward.

This was a disappointing end for Moneygall/Clonakenny. The Mid champions from 2012 fought to the last with Bobby Bergin, William Costigan, Michael John Carroll and John Joe Ryan never letting the side down.

The very influential Daire McGrath had the opening score after 42 seconds to give Ballinahinch Gaels the lead. The Gaels camped in the Moneygall/Clonakenny half for the opening eight minutes stringing one move after another. Pa Floyd led the way while Aidan Moloney had a shot come back off the crossbar with Shane Lenihan creating problems at the other corner.

A Martin Carey pass set Aidan Moloney up for a point in the ninth minute and seconds later, Pa Floyd increased the lead after a three-man moved involving Kevin Mulcahy and Shane Lenihan.

But bit by bit, Moneygall/Clonakenny came more into the game. Sean Fogarty and Brendan Toohey stepped up at half back, well assisted by the free moving Bobby Bergin with the half forward given a free role in defence. Up front, Michael John Carroll and John Joe Ryan caught the eye and their persistence was rewarded with a Ryan free in the 13th minute.

Ballinahinch Gaels responded but their shooting in front of goal once again let them down with the wides increasing - they would reach eight by half time. Nevertheless they still managed to add some scores and in the 19th minute, Pa Floyd added his second point with Odhran Floyd adding another six minutes later.

Two minutes before half time, Aidan Moloney added a close in free and he should have added another but his thirteen metre free swung wide leaving the half time score, Ballinahinch Gaels 0 - 6 Moneygall/Clonakenny 0-1.

As expected, the Moneygall/Clonakenny upped their game at the start of the second half and Bobby Bergin pointed after three minutes. However the Gaels defence were well organised and they began to rediscover their rhythm. Odhran Floyd took over the free-taking duties and pointed from the ground in the 37th minute.

Moneygall/Clonakenny replied with a Michael John Carroll score two minutes later but the next score for the Black and Reds proved difficult due to the watertight Gaels defence of James Conneelly, Sean Ryan, Blaine Lenihan and Rob Houlihan as they applied the pressure on their opposition.

Having soaked up the pressure, the Gaels responded in the best possible way with twelve minutes to go when the hard working James O'Connor cut off a Moneygall/Clonakenny move; the wing back delivered a well-directed pass to Aidan Moloney who with plenty to do survived one tackle, drew the cover of the Moneygall/Clonakenny full back before switching the ball to an unmarked Pa Floyd who coolly slotted home from seven metres out despite the best efforts of goalkeeper, Shane Russell. Three minutes later, Pa Floyd increased the lead to eight after a well-worked move involving Odhran Floyd, Martin Carey and Moloney.

Moneygall/Clonakenny never gave up and five minutes from time they were rewarded with a penalty which John Joe Ryan tucked away following a foot block committed by a Gael defender; but by then it was too little too late.
Match Digest
Man of the Match: Pa Floyd (Ballinahinch Gaels) Scorers - Ballinahinch Gaels: Pa Floyd 1-2; Odhran Floyd, Aidan Moloney 0-2, 1 free, each; Daire McGrath 0-1. Moneygall/Clonakenny: John Joe Ryan 1-1, 1-0 pen, 0-1 free; Bobby Bergin, Michael John Carroll 0-1 each.

Ballinahinch Gaels: RJ Ryan (7); Rob Houlihan (7), Joe Conneely (Capt) (8), Paddy Kelly (7); Blaine Lenihan (7), Sean Ryan (8), James O'Connor (7); Kevin Mulcahy (8), Martin Carey (8); Odhran Floyd (7), Pa Floyd (8), Pa Ryan (7); Aidan Moloney (8), Daire McGrath (8), Shane Lenihan (7). SUBS: John Ryan (NR) for D McGrath (58); James Healy (NR) for P Kelly (60); Frank Troy (NR) for P Kelly (60).

Moneygall/Clonakenny: Shane Russell (7); Paul Byrne (7), Brendan Toohey (7), Brian Shanahan (7); Anthony Devereux (7), Willie Costigan (7), Sean Fogarty (7); Bobby Bergin (8), Brian Teehan (7); Michael John Carroll (8), Eoin Greene (7), Patrick Devereux (7); Ciaran Quinlan (7), John Joe Ryan (8), John O'Meara (7). SUBS: Cian Murray (7) for Devereux (ht); Patrick Egan (7) for O'Meara (39); Liam Carroll (NR) for Shanahan (57)

Referee: Pat Gibson (Burgess).