Match Reports‎ > ‎

North Tipperary U16 'A' Hurling Final

posted 6 Oct 2013, 12:23 by Unknown user   [ updated 10 Oct 2013, 14:30 ]
Kilruane McDonaghs 3-13
Newport Gaels 0-08
by Liam Hogan in Nenagh.
10.30am was a unusual start time for the North U16 final but the early start did not deter hot favourites from winning their sixth title, their first in nine years with an easy win over Newport Gaels.
Kilruane won due to having the much better forward line, especially the twin strike force of Cian Darcy and Kevin Shinnors; the duo scored 3-10 of Kilruane's total with Darcy nabbing 2-07, 2-2 from play. His goals were something special. His first came in the tenth minute when he ran like a gazelle past two Newport defenders before shooting with remarkable power to the top corner. His second was opportune; Rory McCarthy was in possession but lost the ball in front of the goal before Darcy pulled first time giving Newport goalkeeper Paul Hogan no chance from twenty five metres.
And while Darcy was really on song the workrate of Kevin Shinnors at full forward gave Kilruane the ideal target man. The six foot six giant scored 1-03 with his goal coming after half-time to put Kilruane in the driving seat with a 3-08 to 0-06 lead. Kilruane continued to pile high balls towards the edge of the Newport Gaels parraleelogram with Shinnors adding two points late on.
Rory McCarthy was another hard working forward with Jerome Carroll producing a litany of sublime touches to help his fellow attackers to victory. Both James Cleary and Tom Dooley bossed the midfield area while team captain Daragh Peters was the ideal leader in defence having Brendan McAdams providing strong support at full back.
Spare a thought for Newport Gaels. David Gleeson was their key man in both attack (1st half) before moving to the defence in the second. Conor Hickey worked hard at centre back with Corrie Mooney, Kealan Floyd, Cian Flanagan, Daniel Carew and Jack Delahunty providing support.
David Gleeson had the first chance but his free came back off the upright before Kilruane rallied to see Cian Darcy point the opening free in the fifth minute. Three minutes later, he added a second free from sixty metres before securing a sublime goal in the tenth minute.
Newport Gaels bounce back and between the 15th and 18th minute with three unasnswered points through Daniel Carew, and two from David Gleeson, his first coming from play. One minute later, Cian Darcy had Kilruane in the driving seat with a great first time goal. The goal was the start of a purple patch for MacDonagh's with further points Conor Lillis, Cian Darcy long range free and Kevin Shinnors.
But the Gaels kept in touch thanks to a Kealan Floyd followed by a David Gleeson free. Good Kilruane play by James Cleary and Kevin Shinnors led to a Rory McCarthy point in the 27th minute. David Gleeson replied with a free but Cian Darcy's 65 had his team leading 2-7 to 0-6 at half time.
Kevin Shinnors extended the Kilruane lead with a point fifty seconds into the half. Three minutes later, Shinnors had Kilruane's third goal after Rory McCarthy's effort had dropped short. Cian Darcy added a free. Newport Gaels tried hard to cut down the deficit but the Kilruane defence held firm with goalkeeper Niall Shinnors reliable with McAdams, Conroy, Grace and Kevin Brereton providing able assistance for Daragh Peters in defence.
Having withstood opposition pressure the Kilruane attack recovered to pick off scores through JAmes Cleary, Conor Lillis, and Shinnors. Corrie Mooney replied but Kilruane finished on ahigh with Darcy adding two late points to round off the win.
Newport Gaels: Paul Hogan; Cathal Floyd, Jordan Young, Sean Moloney; Kevin Connolly, Conor Hickey (Capt), Corie Mooney (0-1); Kealan Floyd (0-1), Cian Flanagan; Daniel Carew (0-1), Jack Delahunty, David Gleeson (0-4, 2f), Colin Floyd (0-1), Brendan Torney, Michael Gorman. Subs: Jonathon Coyle for Tormey, Harry Sheedy for Conor Floyd, Bernard Ryan for Carew, Killian Harvey for Gleeson.