Match Reports‎ > ‎

North IHC Vs Knockshegowna

posted 7 Jan 2011, 14:06 by Unknown user
Knockshe claim points to remain in hunt

Knockshegowna 1-14
Ballinahinch 1-10

by Liam Hogan in Puckane.

Knockshegowna’s shock four-point win over Ballinahinch was overshadowed by the dismissal of Tipperary midfielder, Shane McGrath last Friday evening. 

The victory leaves them with one game left against Shannon Rovers where a win would bring them back into contention for the knockout stages. This would add nicely as Knockshe hope to win an appeal against the decision by the North Bord, to award a game to Silvermines last month after the Ballingarry men were unable to attend due to players being injured and unavailable.

But for the present, Knockshe will take much from this victory where Michael Kennedy, Graham Gohery, Paul Lake and Keith Gohery were very prominent with David King, Michael and Ger O’Brien so reliable while Eamon Murphy and John O’Donoghue managed to upset the normally reliable Alan Kelly and Marcus Ryan from time to time.

In the meantime, Ballinahinch remain pointless and with games against Newport and Borrisokane to come, their chances of making a place to the knockout stages have all but disappeared.

Alan Kelly was their best player while Liam Berkery, a replacement for Sean Berkery in goal, Marcus Ryan, Brendan Healy, Ger Grace, Shane McGrath and John Foley did their best for the cause.

Ideal conditions saw Ballinahinch commence in flying fashion but shooting three wides inside the opening four minutes was to make life difficult for them. Knockshe were less wasteful as Michael Rafferty followed by Graham Gohery free gave them a twopoint lead after five minutes.

A Donnacha McGrath free opened Ballinahinch’s account from half way but Knockshe’s Eamon Murphy fetched Richard King’s puckout forcing a quick reply before Ger Griffen replied with a close in free.

Ballinahinch were eventually rewarded with a major lift when Ger Griffen was presented with a gift of a goal after Knockshe keeper, Richard King batted a high ball back out into the his path. Graham Gohery narrowed the gap with a 65 before Shane Healy grabbed his first of three points.

Graham Gohery pointed a free 21 minutes but Ballinahinch replied immediately through Healy again but Knockshe took the lead when a 65 by Graham Gohery was directed to the Ballinahinch net by John O’Donoghue leaving the score at 1-5 to 1-4 after 25 minutes.

Donnacha McGrath brought Ballinahinch level with a 65 and Shane Healy edged them ahead but Brian Bond brought the sides level, 1-6 each at half time.

Scores were level twice over the opening four minutes of the second half with five white flags raised, the first from John Foley. Knockshe replied with a Graham Gohery free after Lake was fouled again. Donnacha McGrath hit back in similar fashion after Shane McGrath won a free before Knockshe responded through Graham Gohery from play.

The tempo of the game had increased. Shane McGrath began winning more possession at midfield but Michael Kennedy was rock solid along with Keith Gohery.

John O’Donoghue won a twenty metre free. A penalty was signalled initially but later changed to an ordinary free which Jack King attempted to blast for goal. His effort, however, was weak but Ballinahinch’s clearance reached the unmarked Collie Brown who scored to level at 1-9 each.

Michael Kennedy made another vital clearance as Graham Gohery went on a three point scoring spree, all from play, leaving the Blue and Golders three clear with 15 minutes remaining.

Many fine clearances by Alan Kelly kept Ballinahinch in the game. Scores were missed but Shane McGrath’s excellent sideline ball from forty metres saw Richard King do well which saw the resulting 65 by Donnacha McGrath converted.

Ten minutes remained and Knockshe regained composure. John O’Donoghue gathered possession close to the Ballinahinch goal. A short solo run brought him closer to goal than he would have liked but his shot was parried over the bar by Liam Berkery.

Referee, Ben Darcy sent McGrath to the line in the 56th minute following an altercation with Adrian Browne leaving Knockshe, in the position of defending a three point lead. This they did and their defence had little to worry about in the remaining minutes as their star player, Michel Kennedy fired over an injury time 65 to ensure a four point victory.

The closely marked Shane McGrath, now at centre forward, missed two scorable chances at the other end. Then his evening ended on a sour note when he was red carded after 56 minutes which ended their hopes of making a late comeback.

Man of the match: Michael Kennedy (Knockshegowna)

Scorers: Graham Gohery 0-10 (0-3f, 0-2 65's), John O'Donoghue 1-1, Eamon Murphy, Brian Bond, Collie Brown 0-1 each, Michael Kennedy 0-1 (65). Ballinahinch: Donnacha McGrath 0-5 (0-2f, 0-3 65's), Ger Griffin 1-1 (0-1f), Shane Healy 0-3, John Foley 0-1.

Team: Liam Berkery; Thomas Grace, Marcus Ryan, Brendan Healy; John Ryan, Alan Kelly, Ger Grace; Raphael Ryan, Shane McGrath; Shane Healy, John Foley, Paidi Berkery; Mark Kelly, Donnacha McGrath, Ger Griffin. Subs: Cormac McGrath for M. Kelly, Cathal Bourke for C. McGrath.