Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Hurling Championship 2014

posted 17 Aug 2014, 14:16 by Sluder Bullins
County Intermediate Hurling Championship 2014

2nd Round - Group 4.

May 11th 2014

Ballinahinch                3-15
Shannon Rovers          1-13

by Liam Hogan in Nenagh Guardian.

Ballinahinch produced a positive performance when they defeated Shannon Rovers in the second round of the County Intermediate hurling championship in Nenagh last Sunday.

With ten players getting on the score sheet, Ballinahinch overcame a low period midway through the first half before pulling away in the second half to claim their second win of the campaign.

Shane McGrath was the leader at centre back, while up front the star was Mark Kelly, scoring three goals. The right corner forward had ample assistance in Alan Kelly, John Foley and Dave Ryan, while Kevin Mulcahy stood out at midfield.

Rovers, who won their first game against Ballybacon never played with consistency but had good performances in George Hannigan, Barry Cahalan, James Stack, Alan Hogan, Derek Horan and Austin Tierney.

The opening ten minutes was divided into two in terms of scores with Ballinahinch going four points in front in as many minutes before Rovers responded with 1-3 inside the next five minutes with Austin Tierney grabbing the goal. However their lead lasted barely a minute when Mark Kelly availed of slack marking in the Rovers defence to get his first goal. Ballinahinch added three points to one for Rovers before Kelly struck for his second goal in the 22nd minute.

By half-time it was 2-11 to 1-05 in favour of Ballinahinch and Rovers, aided by the breeze, put their opponents under pressure in the early stages but poor decision making and erratic shooting in front of goal was to deny them.

They came within seven points when Derek Horan's blistering shot forced Cormac McGrath to deflect the ball over the bar. But in the 40th minute the game was signed and sealed when poor defensive play allowed Mark Kelly bustle his way into the edge of the small square and tap the ball over the line to leave the score, 3-12 to 1-08.

Alan Hannigan replied for Rovers but Ballinahinch were hurling with confidence and they stretched their lead with points by Alan Kelly, Donnacha McGrath and a lengthy free by Shane McGrath.

Austin Tierney rescued a point for Rovers and George Hannigan, now at full forward had a goal at his mercy but settled for a point.

Another goal chance came and went but they continued to press forward as Austin Tierney add two more frees before Ger Grace ended the scoring for the victors.

Ballinahinch: Cormac McGrath; Michael Fitzgerald, Thomas Grace, Marcus Ryan; John Ryan, Shane McGrath (0-2f), Michael Lynch; Kevin Mulcahy (0-4, 2f), PAddy Kelly (0-1); Darragh Mcgrath(0-1), Alan Kelly (0-2), Kevin Fitzpatrick; Mark Kelly (2-0), John Foley (0-1), David Ryan (0-1). Subs: Donnacha McGrath (0-2) for K.Fitzpatrick, Ger Grace (0-1) for M. Lynch.