Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Hurling Championship 1st Round

posted 13 May 2013, 13:10 by Unknown user
Opening round win for Ballinahinch

Ballinahinch 2-17
Galtee 1-05

by Marguerite Ryan in Cappawhite. Nenagh Guardian

Ballinahinch easily overcame Galtee Rovers in the first round of the County Intermediate Hurling Championship in Cappawhite on Sunday.
Getting out of the blocks first were Ballinahinch with a long range free from Shane McGrath. Ballinahinch drove on from here with two goals from Dave Ryan and Ger Griffin inside the opening ten minutes. It was all Ballinahinch for the opening quarter, their workrate and movement too much for Galtee Rovers to contend with as the North Tipp side scored 2-8 inside twenty minutes.
Galtee Rovers were not without possession but failed at the final stage due to some poor wides and good defensive work from Ballinahinch, however a foul on Denis Peters of Galtee Rovers resulting in a 21-yard free got their scoring started. The initial free was blocked but Liam Kavanagh struck the rebound to the back of the net.
From the puckout, Galtee Rovers regained possession through Sean Daly who laid the ball off to the midfielder Liam Kavanagh to point. Both sides finished the half with pointed frees leaving the half time score 1-11 to 1-2. Ballinahinch started the second half like the first with the first score through Paddy Kelly. Galtee matched this after good work from Sean Daly to set up Ian O'Brien. Galtee Rovers, knowing the game could slip away from them, upped their workrate and kept Ballinahinch scoreless for the next 15 minutes.
Danger was again kept at bay when Galtee Rovers corner back Christopher O'Halloran blocked a shot on goal from Paddy Kelly resulting in the turnover of possession with the ball cleared to Kieran Bergin who pointed for his side bringing the gap to eight points.
Despite having the majority of possession in the second half Galtee Rovers could not break the Ballinahinch defense, to reflect their work on the scoreboard.
Ballinahinch got going again with a point through Kevin Mulcahy from a 65'. Pa Morrissey regained possession from the puckout but his pass was intercepted by Donnacha McGrath who set up Ger Griffin for his sixth point of the day.
With ten minutes left Ballinahinch were reduced to 14 men when Adrian Kelly was sent off. This incident did not deter Ballinahinch and they tagged on three more points, two through second half substitute Mark Kelly and one from Brendan Ryan.

Ballinahinch: Cormac McGrath, Thomas Grace, Ger Grace, Michael Fiztgerald, John Ryan, Shane McGrath (0-1), John Foley, Kevin Mulcahy (0-2, 1 65), Adrian Kelly (0-1), David Ryan (1-0), Donnacha McGrath (0-2), Paudie Berkery, Brendan Ryan (0-2), Paddy Kelly (0-1), Ger Griffin (1-6, 0-3f).
Subs: Shane Healy for Grace (45); Mark Kelly (0-2) for D Ryan (50).
 Galtee Rovers: Eoin White, Jason Collins, Eamon O'Connell, Christopher O'Halloran, Kieran Murnane, Mark O'Brien, Emmet Ryan, Pa Morrissey, Liam Kavanagh (1-1), Kieran Bergin (0-1), Colin Morrissey, Sean Daly, Vinny Murphy, Denis Peters, Ian O'Brien (0-3, 1f).
Referee: John Butler (Upperchurch/Drombane)