Match Reports‎ > ‎

2013 County Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 2

posted 20 May 2013, 13:10 by Unknown user
Ballinahinch maintain winning start

Ballinahinch 3-10
Rockwell Rovers 0-8
by Marguerite Ryan in Cappawhite.

The second round in Group 3 of the County Intermediate Championship saw West and North sides meet again with Rockwell Rovers and Ballinahinch both looking for their second win of the championship in Cappawhite on Saturday evening.

Rockwell Rovers Alan Moloney got the scoring started with a point within seconds; however this lead was short lived as the West side's defense gave away a penalty a minute later which Ger Griffin goaled to put Ballinahinch up by two points.

Rockwell went on the attack again only to see Pat Halley's delivery cleared to Kevin Mulcahy who set up Donnacha McGrath for his first point of the game. John Foley picked up the puckout, delivering the ball straight back in to the forward line with Paudie Berkery burst through the Rockwell defense finding the net. Ballinahinch followed with two points from Brendan Ryan and Paudie Berkery putting them ahead by eight points after six minutes.

Paul Halley set up Aidan Barron for a score to narrow the gap. Rockwell stepped up their game scoring two more points Barry Shorthall setting up Gavin Ryan and Alan Moloney pointing from a free.
This momentum was short lived when Ballinahinch goaled again in the fifteenth minute through David Ryan. Rockwell had a chance to get back into the game with a penalty in the final stages of the first half but the shot from Alan Moloney was saved by John Foley with the rebound going wide. Both sides finished the half with points leaving the half time score at 3-6 to 0-5. The West Tipp side had it all to do in the second half to close the gap and thus deployed a third midfielder to boost the sides performance however leaving an extra man in the Ballinahinch defense did not help their scoring threat, only managing two points in the first ten minutes through Alan Moloney and Aidan Barron. Donnacha McGrath matched these scores with two of his own bringing his tally to four for the day. This was followed by two more points from Shane Mc-Grath and David Ryan, the contest by now was over with Ballinahinch 12
clear Many Rockwell frees in the second half were dropped into the danger area but to no avail and Alan Moloney finished off the games and Rockwell Rovers scoring with a point in the 50th minute.

This was not the last effort from Rockwell as an injury time 21-yard was awarded but saved and cleared down the field with the final whistle blowing. Ballinahinch were strong winners finishing up eleven point winners.