Match Reports‎ > ‎

2010 U14 North Hurling Final

posted 7 Jan 2011, 14:12 by Unknown user

Sharper Nenagh retain U14 ‘A’ title

Ballinahinch/Newport 1-05 Nenagh 3-07

Shane Hennessy’s twogoal blast, mid way through the second half, helped Nenagh Éire Óg retain their North U-14 ‘A’ Hurling title when overcoming a defiant Newport/Ballinahinch on Saturday afternoon. which in the end proved to be one of the defining moments in the destination of the title.   Morris were always in the thick of things curtailing much of the Newport/Ballinahinch attack.   defiant in the mid sector and centre forward, Jason Ryan tried hard to break down the tight marking Nenagh defence.   anticipation of an exciting finish was beginning to emerge.    

Played in front of a fine attendance, Nenagh’s efficiency in front of goal proved the difference. They shot seven wides, (one in the first half) as opposed to 12 for Newport/Ballinahinch. But overall, the holders deserved their win as they were the more sharper up front with Shane Hennessy receiving great assistance from John Cahalan and Jack Molamphy while Philip Hickey and Conor Ryan did well at midfield. Andrew Coffey was a tower of strength at centre back as fellow defenders Aodhan Geaney and Jake

Prior to the game, both teams stood to the National Anthem, played by lone piper, Joe Barry. Once the game got underway, John Cahalan opened the scoring for Nenagh after two minutes. Newport / Ballinahinch replied almost immediately through Davy Gleeson and after with Conor Floyd began well at centre back along with Pa Ryan at midfield, the Combination increased their lead with another Davy Gleeson point on eight minutes.

In fact, Newport might have stretched their lead but failure to convert chances was to be their downfall. Not a problem for Nenagh at the other end, as Shane Hennessy replied with a point after 13 minutes. Two minutes later, a clearance from their half suddenly found Brian Flynn in front of goal and who then got free of his marker to put the ball past Dean Foley. Three minutes later, Conor Ryan added a point giving the home side a four-point lead.

That goal for Nenagh was hard luck on Newport keeper, Dean Foley who made two good saves up to then. And despite falling behind, his team battled on with Rob Houlihan doing well at full back. Pa Ryan and Conor Floyd remained

But scores were hard to come by except for a Conor Floyd long range free. But with half time approaching Nenagh managed the final score of the half when Shane Hennessy left the half time score reading Nenagh 1-4 Newport/Ballinahinch 0-3.

One minute into the second half, Pa Ryan narrowed the gap to three points. Both sides missed chances and we had to wait four minutes for a Shane Hennessy free to help Nenagh regain their fourpoint lead. Davy Gleeson replied with a similar score for the challengers as the

That idea was soon cast aside when Shane Hennessy took the game by the scruff of the neck. In the 39th minute he weaved through the Newport defence before blasting the ball past Foley. One minute later he extended his teams lead with a point before grabbing a second goal three minutes later. Conor Ryan added a point to leave Nenagh eleven points clear with seven minutes remaining.

But as expected, Newport/Ballinahinch made a number of raids on the Nenagh goal and were finally rewarded with a Pa Ryan goal, five minutes from time.

It was too little too late though. Nenagh had enough done and they held on to collect their ninth title much to the joy of their supporters.

Team: Dean Foley; Daniel Carew, Rob Houlihan, Liam Lennon; Martin Shinnors, Conor Floyd (0-01), Matthew Connelly; Pa Ryan (1-1), Liam Duffy; Conor Hickey, Jason Ryan, Kalem Harte, Conor Lynch, Michael Quigley, Davy Gleeson (0-03). subs used Oisin O'Reilly, Ross Healy.