Match Reports‎ > ‎

2010 7th Round Vs Borrisokane

posted 7 Jan 2011, 14:11 by Unknown user

Late scoring burst sees Borris into semis

Borrisokane 0-21
Ballinahinch 1-14

by Marguerite Ryan in Dolla. 

Borrisokane earned themselves a semi-final spot in the North Intermediate Hurling Championship after a hard fought win over Ballinahinch in Dolla on Saturday evening. The underdogs, Ballinahinch who had lost all five games to date, dominated for long periods and were unfortunate to be on the losing side at the full time whistle. They got off to the best possible start with two early points even though they only had fourteen players with the scores coming via a free and one from play by brothers Donnacha and Shane McGrath. 

Five minutes in it was fifteen on fifteen and Ballinahinch piled on the pressure. Borrisokane struggled to curb the influence of Shane McGrath in midfield who continued his return to form with a hard working display throughout and catching clean ball and dispossessing Borrisokane of the sliothar. He pointed two more from play in the opening quarter. Borrisokane slowly but surely found their feet after Philip Austin made a great run  through the middle setting up Shane Dooley for their first point. Gordon Harding intercepted the resulting short puck out and fired it over the bar. Borrisokane further narrowed the gap when Colm Larkin pointed a free after Philip Austin was fouled on the 45.
  Shane McGrath got Ballinahinch back in the game when he tied it scoring two points one from a long range free and another from play. Ballinahinch worked hard in all sectors of the field and were rewarded just before half time after John Foley sent in a long range shot which Cormac McGrath kicked to the net. In a highly contested first half Ballinahinch were two points ahead of their opponents at the break.     Scores were swapped by Ballinahinch’s Donnacha and Shane McGrath and Borrisokane’s Colm Larkin and Tadghie Slevin but Ballinahinch still remained two points up with quarter of an hour left. Ballinahinch pressed on with Shane Healy and Donnacha McGrath increasing their lead to four points.

Twenty minutes in Philip Austin scored a point to level the game at five points each. Borrisokane took the lead through a Colm Larkin free after some indiscipline by the Ballinahinch fullback line. Borrisokane kept the pressure on but missed some scoring chances in the final few minutes of the half.

The deficit was out to three shortly after the resumption with Raphael Ryan setting up Donnacha McGrath for a point. Rallying again with good outfield work from Colm Larkin and Shane Dooley, Philip Austin pointed to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Ballinahinch were quick to respond with Raphael Ryan and Shane McGrath combining to setup Cormac McGrath for a point.

Borrisokane were threatening more and more but some good defensive work by Ballinahinch ensured Borrisokane attacks were halted with Marcus Ryan leading by example at fullback.

The final ten minutes were all Borrisokane as attacked. Philip Austin was set-up for a goal but Marcus Ryan got a vital flick on the ball to John Ryan who cleared it down the field. Robert Davis picked up the breaking ball and setup Colm Larkin who stuck a point from distance.

Indiscipline cost Ballinahinch another two points leaving them with only a one point lead with four minutes to go. Ballinahinch were dealt another blow when Raphael Ryan had to leave the field due to injury therefore with no substitutes Ballinahinch played the remainder of the game with fourteen men.

With Ballinahinch now stretched they could not hold out Borrisokane as they pointed through Colm Larkin, Graham McMahon and Shane Dooley to see them out four point winners at the final whistle and secure the semifinal spot

Team: Sean Berkery; Thomas Grace, Marcus Ryan, Bredan Healy; John Ryan, John Foley, Ger Grace; Shane McGrath (0-7, 1f), Shane Healy(0-1); Raphael Ryan, Donnacha McGrath (Capt) (0-5, 4f), Mark Kelly; Brendan Ryan, Ger Griffin, Cormac McGrath(1-1).

Man of the Match: Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)