Match Reports‎ > ‎

2010 1st Round North IHC Vs Silvermines

posted 7 Jan 2011, 14:02 by Unknown user

Silvermines 1-18 Ballinahinch 2-10

in Newport by Noel Cahill.

Mines off to winning start over neighbours

Glorious sunshine marked the first round of the 2010 North Tipperary Intermediate Hurling Championship on Saturday afternoon. Silvermines and Ballinahinch opened this year’s proceedings with an entertaining encounter in front of a small attendance. With the early start, teams are not yet at peak physical fitness but championship hurling nonetheless has that extra dimension over the league and with higher stakes the challenges become more robust and even the banter on the sideline increases.

Ballinahinch in particular raised their game and caused a lot of problems for Silvermines until the last quarter when the ‘Mines showed glimpses of their true form to pull away. Silvermines, while delighted with the win, will know that they will need to improve greatly if they are to contend at the final stages.

Ballinahinch were disappointed to lose but pleased to improve on their recent league form and the heavy defeat they suffered at the hands of the same opposition last year. Star performer Ger Grace held Willie Keogh scoreless for the period he was designated to mark him and perhaps if he had been allowed to spend the full hour as Keogh’s shadow the result would have been closer.

Silvermines raced into an early lead and were three points up after just five minutes before Donnacha McGrath opened the scoring for Ballinahinch in the eighth minute. Willie Keogh immediately replied with a point before a Donnacha McGrath free and a John Foley point reduced the deficit to one at the end of the first quarter.

At this stage Ballinahinch wisely switched Ger Grace over to curb the scoring threat of Willie Keogh. In the 18th minute Noel and Orrie Quirke combined for the latter to register a nice point and another Keogh free restored the Silvermines lead to three a minute later.

Ballinahinch were not just there to make up the numbers however and John Foley, with a marvellous long range effort, and Shane McGrath popped up for scores to keep their team in the hunt. Cathal Gleeson had a point for the ‘Mines after some good work by Forde but John Foley who was causing havoc in midfield won two frees which were converted by the deadly accurate Donnacha McGrath to level the game.

Silvermines were rocked on their heels on the stroke of half time when Liam Berkery and Donnacha McGrath combined to put John Ryan through for a well-taken goal and the lead for Ballinahinch. Jason Forde had the last word with a point to leave the score at the interval 1-7 to 0-8 in favour of Ballinahinch.

The second half was only 30 seconds old when Donal Keogh struck for a point. Daniel Keogh and Shane McGrath exchanged points before Donal Keogh added another in the 40th minute.

At this stage Willie Keogh moved to the edge of the square releasing Cathal Gleeson to the corner and the extra room allowed the big man to slot over two points in quick succession. When Donal Keogh fired home a goal with seven minutes to go, the ‘Mines were in full control.

Although a Liam Berkery goal reduced the deficit to two, Willie Keogh (2) and Sean O’Brien ended the contest with well taken points for Silvermines.

 Man of the Match: Ger Grace (Ballinahinch)

Scorers: Silvermines: Willie Keogh 0-8, 3 frees; Donal Keogh 1-2; Cathal Gleeson 0-3; Orrie Quirke 0-2; Jason Forde, Sean O’Brien, Daniel Keogh 0-1 each. Ballinahinch: Donnacha McGrath 0-6, 5 frees; John Ryan, Liam Berkery 1-0 each; John Foley, Shane McGrath 0-2 each.

Silvermines: Cathal Sherlock (7); Noel Quirke (7), David Boland (7), Damien Boland (7); Sean Quirke (7), Ronan Sherlock (7), Jason Forde (7); Neil Kelly (6), Declan Mulqueen (6); Orrie Quirke (6), Donal Keogh (8), Willie Keogh (8); David Keogh (7), Cathal Gleeson (7), Daniel Keogh (6). SUBS: Sean O’Brien (7) for Daniel Keogh (34).

Ballinahinch: Sean Berkery (7); Padraig Berkery (7), Marcus Ryan (6), Brendan Healy (6); Thomas Grace (7), Alan Kelly (6), Ger Grace (9); Shane McGrath (8), John Foley (8); Liam Berkery (7), Mike Fitzgerald (6), Raphael Ryan (6); Shane Healy (6), Donnacha McGrath (C) (7), John Ryan (7). Referee: Anthony Sherlock (Kildangan)